“Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.”

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Work from home ... and the laptop alternative.

It has been a long time since I have not posted. Between my busy programmer/engineer life , my fitness schedule and my time spent reading about finances/investment I do not find time to log my thoughts.
So this year I joined a new company a small startup (which will remain nameless for the time being).
One of the benefits was a very expensive state of the art Dell Precision laptop equipped with SSD and 8GB RAM .. something I could not afford to buy with my salary as a software developer and the prices in this city.
The other benefit was working from home (no limit there) . As I am obsessed with "the zone" you can imagine that I took that benefit and took a day off .
My vision on laptops was the following : Very expensive equipments that are only effective for the rich guys to check their emails and do some office work. I could buy my Core i7 computer for about 700 Euro .. a laptop would have been 2200 Euros at least.
Once I was given this laptop I found my self working on company's projects (or personal stuff ) whenever I had time. I developed a user interface while waiting for my car's 10.000 km maintenance ... I coded in restaurants and of course from home.
Well there are some drawback normally : like no dual monitor, no good keyboard mouse , no ergonomic position.
Thankfully at work I have a dual monitor setup with a docking station allowing me to plugin whichever keyboard I want.
So I had a blast working at home one friday .. 12h of uninterrupted productivity.
The only drawback : You can't stop and go home ...you're already there.
Of course Skype contacts and email helps .. and the fact that everybody gets to work from home as they please.

No comments:

Post a Comment